Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Too Many Thoughts For One Title

Does your brain ever have so many ideas swarming around in it that you can't seem to get any of them out? Like a bunch of little bees buzzing around the hive all waiting to get out to explore the world, but instead of lining up and taking turns to exit the hive, they all try to escape at the same time? That's my head right now. So many things are bouncing around; thinking about how much life has changed recently, where we might be in a year, how much I love spending time with Phil, and more...This blog is an attempt to fill you in on the many things buzzing around my head. I'll head the paragraphs so you can easily see which ones you care to read :)


Phil's School
Phil has successfully completed the first half of his first semester of college-woohoo!! This might not seem like a big deal to some of you, but let me put this into perspective. Phil finished high school in 2005 and the following fall went straight to work at Albertson's. He did not take any classes or even really think about going to college for a long time. Near the end of my schooling we decided that he really needed to attend college-whether it be for ministry or something else. You all know how we ended up at Moody if you've read my other posts so I won't bore you with the same story. But, for someone who by his own submission, did not do well in school and has been out of school for 7 years it is quite intimidating to go back. That's why so many people warn you to go to college immediately because the chances of going back are so slim. I'm so proud of Phil for being a freshman at the age of 25, while there are others that are 17 that still don't know how to do laundry. I think I've mentioned this before, but Moody is like the Harvard of bible colleges. I think the admission rate was 1 in 8 this year and many people that Phil has gotten to know had to apply more than once to get in. Phil got in on his first try, early decision and is doing GREAT in his classes! Please feel free to send him encouragements through Facebook or text-I know he would appreciate that! :)


Church
As mentioned in my last post, we are attending Harvest Bible Chapel Chicago Cathedral Campus. Not only are we attending, but we are "ambassadors" that help the campus pastor with anything he asks; mostly greeting people, helping with offering, parking, etc. Phil attends a college-aged male small group and while he is there, I hang out with a few of the other wives whose husbands attend the same group. We had the opportunity to enjoy dinner with our campus pastor and his wonderful family about a week ago and shared some of our hopes and desires for ministry in this church. Pastor Brian is very intuitive, and has challenged me with some things to work on. Actually, I don't know that he knows that he challenged me-but I took his advice as a challenge, so thanks Brian :) Per this challenge, I have joined my first female small group and am attacking my daily bible reading and prayer time with intensity. I'm excited to see where this will take me! Phil has been asked to start/lead the college ministry at our church. We feel the immense importance of this position and are not taking it lightly. We would really appreciate your prayers for a strong beginning to what we hope will be a great ministry in our church.


Work
I don't think I've posted since I was hired at my new job. In case you are out of the loop, I am now working for Chicago Public Schools as a middle school writing teacher. My first week and a half were spent setting up my classroom, observing other teachers, and planning how I want my class to run. Last week was my first week with students and it was one I will probably never forget. According to CPS's website, my school is 97% African American. I'm not sure what the other 3% are because I haven't seen any other races to my knowledge. This is not an issue for me, however it is different from anything I've ever experienced. I am working on trying to figure out how to meet my students where they are academically, which is below grade level, and how to relate personally. I already had a few discussions about how I will not change to meet their expectations, but they will need to change to meet my expectations. Prayer for strength and wisdom would be great!


Home
Phil and I LOVE Chicago. Absolutely, 100% love it. We could do without the humidity, but this city is amazing. At dinner tonight we both shared how we feel that this is our home-which is strange considering the facts. Phil was born and raised in Boise, Idaho; and though he loves Boise, he's always been a big city guy living in a small city. This is his first major move and he is doing so well adapting to his new environment. I, on the other hand, have experience moving. We moved quite a bit up until I was 8 when we moved to Vegas. I lived there 11 years, and then lived in Boise for 4 and a half years. I kept feeling like Vegas was still my home and that Boise was just a place I was living for the time-it was never home. But, we've been here just over 2 months and this crazy city is absolutely home! We are looking forward to spending the next 4-5 years here, and know it will be difficult to leave if the Lord leads us elsewhere (which we imagine he will).


What if...
I am such a booger to myself. I get myself amped up about what if this happens, or what if this happened this way instead of what really happened?! While I believe planning is an important skill to practice, I also believe I over-plan and over-day dream...a lot. This weekend we were walking at Navy Pier and talking about how insane it is that we live here. Honestly, could God have showed us any more favor? Allowing Phil to study at one of the best bible colleges in the world, and putting us in this outrageously large, diverse, intriguing city? Providing a job for me that I want to do, that uses my skill set? Mind. Blowing. Then, we started talking about the other schools we had been looking into, had Moody not worked out, and that got me really thinking about how different life would be if we were at one of those schools. I'm so thankful for a husband that lovingly told me he was going to make the call on where we would go for school, because if it was up to me, we'd be in sunny Florida, or hot Arizona. I honestly think that God was testing my faith in him and submission to Phil. I think that if I had decided to not submit to Phil, that we wouldn't be here today. I think God would have allowed us to go to one of the other schools, and we wouldn't be experiencing the amazing blessings we are currently receiving. Again, nothing against the other schools, but this is 150% where God needs us right now.


Some things we are looking forward to
-Since both of us are employed, we have set up a plan to get ourselves out of debt (minus school loans) by March of 2013!
-Getting the college ministry up and running. Our first event is November 27!
-Spending our first holiday season in the city. Although we wish we could spend time with family, we are excited to start new traditions here.
-Continuing to grow closer together and to God
-Hopefully having some visitors in the city! Start planning your trips! :)

No comments: