Don't you just love it when everything feels right? You're driving (or in my case riding) on your way home or maybe you're on your couch and positivity and thankfulness are just oozing out of you. Been there? Felt that? That's how I feel right now. Absolutely, 110% full. I feel like I could go on a speed walk for miles and not get tired. OK, maybe not miles, but you get the point.
If 2 months ago you asked me what our first month of Chicago living would look like I would have told you many things. I was going to get a teaching position and start the school year in a classroom. We were going to meet and know so many people and instantly have a connection. School was going to be easy for Phil and we would still have tons of time to spend together. We would go out often, exploring the city together and enjoying the finer things Chicago has to offer. Oh naive Emily, how silly you were.
After a little over a month of living in Chicago I am here to say life has not gone as planned, but I am absolutely positive this is exactly where we are supposed to be right now. I am so thankful and grateful for this time in our lives and am doing my best to embrace it.
Marriage: The first week we were here we were inseparable. It was so exciting exploring this amazing city of ours together. Unfortunately, that didn't last as orientation came upon us and Phil was bogged down with obligations. Things were tough the first week of classes after that. I felt alone and whenever Phil was home he wasn't really 'home' he was busy with school work. After the first week I told Phil how I was feeling and he has been such a trooper to make time for me in the midst of deadline upon deadline looming in on him. Struggle truly brings you together, if you fight on the same team instead of opposing each other. My husband is such a lover and I love that he has the need to cuddle up to me the moment he walks in the door.
Church: We officially have found our church home! We are so thrilled to call Harvest Bible Chapel our home. We are a part of the brand new (opening this Sunday, September 23) Chicago Cathedral campus. The building is one of the few to escape the Chicago fire and stands beautifully to this day in the heart of the city, and only a short 5 minute walk from home! We cannot wait to get involved with this growing ministry that "unapologetically proclaims the authority of God's word." We have made some good friends that attend this church and live in our building. God has made himself more visible to me here and I am still working on what that means exactly. When I get a better idea and can put it into words I will definitely fill you all in!
School: Phil is doing a fabulous job in his classes! While I knew he would do well, neither of us knew how strenuous this education was going to be. Moody is often referred to as the Harvard of Bible colleges. In the past 4 weeks Phil has already written a paper longer than any paper I had to write and continues to have paper after paper, something I never had to do in my education. Today he scored 100% on a quiz, I'm so proud of him! He has done an exceptional job of creating a schedule for himself to get all the work done. He is even talking about starting papers...EARLY!
Work: As you probably know, Phil was offered a job with Moody the day we arrived. He is the night shift custodial supervisor. Up to this point that has meant he helps clean, schedules, and is introducing new efficient practices for the workers. Beginning in October, he will no longer be cleaning and will be strictly supervising and working towards creating effective means by which his employees will work. I am a part-time after school nanny to 2 sweet little girls. They are 4 and 6 and simply adorable. Due to the Chicago Public Schools strike I had the opportunity to work with the 6 year old all day while the 4 year old was in preschool for 6 days. This was good for my relationship with the little girl and our checkbook. I am still searching for teaching positions or full time gigs, but will continue to be content if this is what God has planned for me for awhile.
Health: I am overweight, yes that Facebook picture you've seen of me where I look large and in charge was not photo-shopped, it's me. This is something that I have been wanting to work on for so long but have simply been lazy about. When we arrived I would be walking to the train station for an interview and have to stop because my ankles and legs hurt so badly. I had shin splints (thought those were over with when I was done with track) and inflamed ankles. I was miserable walking around, I hated it. If Phil was with me I'd have to make him slow down because I simply couldn't handle the pain. It occurred to me this week that I was walking much faster, like super speed walker, and had zero pain! Hallelujah! I'm assuming this has to do with the fact that I walk every day so my body has gotten used to it, and as of today I have completed my first week of P90X! I definitely did not complete every work out, nor did I work until exhaustion every day, but I did work hard and am proud of myself. The scale has barely moved, but I can already feel a difference in my body.
I am full. Full of love, joy, excitement, anticipation, and thankfulness. The Lord has brought us here, at this time, with these people for a purpose. I am beyond grateful for this opportunity and am praying we use this time wisely.
Thank you to everyone that has lifted us up in prayer. You are being heard and while some specifics may not be working out the way we were hoping for, God is working His plan for the betterment of His kingdom and the fact that we get to be a part of that is more than enough.
I'll leave you the way Harvest Bible Chapel ends each service, "YOU ARE LOVED."
No comments:
Post a Comment